Wednesday , June 13, 2018 - 2:12 PM
OGDEN — Dozens of people were evacuated from their homes after a gas leak was reported Wednesday afternoon in Ogden.
A construction crew accidentally hit a gas line and caused the leak, according to Ogden Fire Deputy Chief Eric Bauman. Fire crews were dispatched to the scene just after noon, Bauman said.
Fire crews evacuated about 30 people near Meadow View Drive and Meadowbrook Drive, Bauman said.
Crews from Dominion Energy evacuated and shut off gas lines to six nearby homes, according to Dominion Energy Utah spokesperson Darren Shepherd.
Shepherd said as of 1:45 p.m. crews were still working to stop the gas leak, saying that containing the break in the gas line is “quite a task.”
Shepherd said he hopes that Dominion customers will be able to return to their homes around 4 or 5 p.m. Wednesday.
Units from the Ogden Fire Department and Dominion Energy Utah are still on scene and will be monitoring the areas surrounding the leak for signs of natural gas in the air until the gas in the air subsides, Bauman said.
Shepherd said people should call 811 and plan ahead before they dig to avoid these kinds of situations.
This story will be updated when more information becomes available.
Sign up for e-mail news updates.